Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shenannigoats

I've been home from War for a few days, and I'm happy to report that I did not get sunburned, nor did I catch War Plague! Huzzah!
AND I will now attest that wearing the right medieval clothing - layers and all - is superior to mundane clothing in terms of comfort and practicality. Case and point: setting up my tent (80 degrees and humid, mid-day) nearly made me overheat. Walking back to camp from the parking area was miserable. Peel off the mundane t-shirt and jeans, though, and slip into a lightweight chemise and kirtle ... made a world of difference. I also did the whole "tuck the front hem of your skirt into your belt/apron so you don't trip over it" thing. Also promotes better air circulation. Day two, I wore the Maciejowski cotte. I made use of the convertible sleeve feature around lunchtime, popping my chemise-covered arms through the outer gown's underarm gaps and tying the outer gown's sleeves behind my shoulder blades.
3.16.2012_maciejowski
(Thusly)
I could babble about the whole weekend, but I've received a half-off coupon for linen and linen-blend fabrics, so I'm gonna take a shower, hit the road, and spend until I have buyer's remorse.
Oh, I did do some shopping while at war. Picked up four yards of brick red linen, a yard and a half of gold, three quarters of a yard of blue, a big spool of linen thread and some period-looking thread snips, and a simple penannular brooch so I can finally make myself a proper cloak.
FINALLY ... Stay tuned, because there's exciting news that'll be "official" in the next three to five weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment