Friday, September 27, 2013

Little Red Viking Hood

Sitting in camp at Gulf Wars, a Viking friend took notice of my blue linen hood and asked if I might make her a hood.  No problem!  It's a simple 3-4 piece pattern (depending on the fabric width) and uses less than 1 yard of material.  I took her measurements and we discussed materials.

Fast forward to summer, and the fabric (vibrant red wool) was delivered safely into my possession via a system of person-to-person relays.  Time to get cutting!

The body of the hood is simply a 12" x 50" (plus seam allowances) rectangle.  The front and back gores are right-angle pieces with curves toward the seams.  The back gore is a little bit deeper than the front gore, which adds some extra wiggle room for the shoulders.

I sewed this piece with red poly thread, keeping the stitching as inconspicuous as possible since the owner will be adding embroidery.  The seams were finished with herringbone stitch (tiny tacks on the right side of the fabric, practically invisible), and at the edge of the cape I sewed a narrow rolled hem, again with itty-bitty stitches on the right side of the fabric.

I delivered the completed hood at Kingdom A&S, and despite the heat and humidity in the display hall, Olrun popped it on for a fitting.  She was happy with the final product, and I hope to see it in action at next weekend's Coronation - or if the weather isn't quite cold enough then, it should be by Christmas Revel.

No comments:

Post a Comment