Monday, May 12, 2014

Out of the wilderness

Whew.  The past few months have been a roller-coaster.  It's nice to have my own space - and a real bed! - again.  I'll be spending several months at my mom's house while I take care of some personal and legal matters, then focus on building some cash reserves for when it's time to move into an apartment.

While I was couch surfing I took a commission for four undergowns to be delivered at Gulf Wars.  Well ... three were finished by GW, and the fourth was delivered at Spring Coronation.

I am definitely happy for the income I received for the project, but I learned some very important lessons:
1. I definitely am more comfortable taking measurements in person than relying on an existing garment to fill me in.
2. It is nerve-wracking to put hours and hours and hours of work into sewing and finishing a garment without having the wearer available for a fitting.
3. Everything takes more time than you think it should.
4. Some sewing machines are possessed, and will spontaneously start moving on their own even when your foot is not in physical contact with the pedal!!!
5. I love hand-sewing so freaking much.  It is an act of meditation for me.  Even when the sewing machine was behaving properly, I never felt entirely at peace while using it.  Yes, I know hand-sewing takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. ... But that's a huge part of its appeal :)

The only thing I made for myself in the past few months was a little Viking hood.  Now that I'm getting settled again, I plan on sewing one or two apron-dresses and stringing some beads to hang between the wonderful brooches I bought for my birthday.  Next in the pipeline is a Gothic Fitted Dress so I can coordinate with my Fighter's 14th century persona when we are both eligible for our Kingdom's Crown tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment