Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stress test

Usually I prefer to wash garb by hand in the bathtub. This is because I'm a tad paranoid about all my hand stitching deciding to fail simultaneously. Silly? Yes, but I still play along with my brain.

Anyhoo, I deviated from my usual methods the other day and sent the brown kirtle through a machine wash. Mostly because it's become quite cold and I have no interest in stooping over a tub and swishing my hands around in cold water. Granted, the machine was on the delicate cycle and the lowest spin speed, and the kirtle was the only garment in the load. It did not disintegrate, nor did the seams explode. As I was hanging it up to dry (using the ribbon loops I stitched to the waist), I did find one weak point at a strap attachment. I have plenty of the same silk thread used in the garment's construction, so with a quick repair it'll be ready to play at Revel this Saturday.

Remnant-wool hood is also coming along nicely. I did a couple of test buttons and a test buttonhole. Haven't quite nailed down the spacing for the buttons, or whether I want to do even spacing or grouped pairs for a little added interest. Gotta get back to work to ensure the hood is wearable for Revel. It's supposed to get stupid cold outdoors once the sun sets. Photo post tomorrow night, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment