Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ready, steady, go!

Project Fitted Gown is well and truly under way. Today I spent a little time reading up on fitting and construction tips and began drafting my pattern (first onto grid paper, then to muslin). I'm using a double layer of muslin for the two front panels to get a more accurate idea of the final fit once everything is transferred to the fashion fabric and lining. To conserve fabric - yes, I know it's inexpensive, but I really don't want to risk having to make a special shopping trip for that - the back panels will be single layers with strips of fabric basted along the anticipated stress lines at the seams and the horizontal bust, under-bust, waist, and hip levels.

I am also aware that draping the pattern would give me an even tighter fit, but I'm a bit of an isolated seamstress. I find it terribly frustrating to teach my husband how to take photographs while I'm modelling garb; I'm not about to risk massive blood loss by having him baste me into a fabric shell.

Two months from now, Gulf Wars will be in full swing, and I'd love to have my blue wool gown and maybe my parti-colored Gleann Abhann gown finished in time to pack. Hope my musical sewing mice are up to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment