Monday, January 17, 2011

Tumbleweed

Recently I've been having access problems with my old website/blog, so back to good ol' Blogger to save my sanity and transfer some of my work.

Right-o!

For now I'm going to assume that pretty much everyone reading this has not been keeping track of my costuming shenanigans for the past couple of years.  I'm a SCAdian with an interest in constructing garb.  My first outfits were, for the most part, crappy things thrown together from bargain bin cotton fabric - but they were hand sewn, which earned me a little bit of instant cred within certain corners of the Kingdom.  Didn't really have a choice at the time, since I had no money for a sewing machine and no place to put it.  I have since gained a larger disposable income, a sewing machine, and a craft room (in progress), but I still prefer hand sewing ... or at the very minimum, hand finishing field garb.

My current project is a green gown based on a composite of Maciejowski Bible images.  The neckline is a shallow scoop formed from a hexagonal opening, and the sleeves are only attached to the body of the garment at the back of the armscye, allowing the wearer to slip her arm through the gap for cooling or to prevent the sleeves from being soiled while she works.  The design process for this gown has been complete for some time, and I am actually nearing the end of the construction phase.  One sleeve seam, the side seams, the seam treatments, and the skirt and wrist hems remain before I go on to the embellishment phase, then submission into an Arts and Sciences competition.

I'll be posting progress photos with the next entry, so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment